The SGA Student Activity Fee Allocation (SAFA) Committee will meet each semester to allocate the Student Activity Fee to organizations and departments for events/programs to take place the following semester. The SGA SAFA Committee will meet for two weeks – the first week will be the SAFA Hearings where the committee will hear each organization present their allocation requests; the second week will be the SAFA Deliberations where the committee will deliberate and decide the funding requests for each organization that presented the week prior.
Approximately six weeks prior to the first SAFA Hearing the SGA SAFA Committee will make the SAFA Applications available on-line and will begin advertising the upcoming SAFA Hearings.
Approximately four weeks prior to the first SAFA Hearing the SGA SAFA Committee will hold two SAFA Informational meetings for those organizations interested in the SAFA process.
One week prior to the first SAFA Hearing the SAFA Applications will be due. When organizations submit their completed SAFA Applications on-line they sign-up for a SAFA Hearing date and time in the SGA office. Also the organization’s advisor must submit a confirmation email to the SGA to complete the application process.
|Make on-line SAFA Applications available and begin advertising SAFA procedures||Six weeks prior to first SAFA Hearings|
|Hold SAFA Informational meetings||Four weeks prior to first SAFA Hearing|
|SAFA Applications are due||One week prior to first SAFA Hearing|
|SAFA Hearings||One week process|
|SAFA Deliberations||One week process and the week following SAFA Hearings|
- Organizations must complete the entire SAFA Applications on-line prior to the deadline.
- SAFA Applications are available on the SGA web site (www.ucastudentlife.orgsync.com/org/sga).
- When the SAFA Application submitted each organization must sign-up for a SAFA Hearing date and time at the SGA office.
- It is strongly recommended that the organization make a copy of the competed SAFA Application to have for their SAFA Hearing.
- The organization will meet with the SGA SAFA Committee and present their SAFA request.
- There must be a student to present to the SGA SAFA Committee.
- The SGA SAFA Committee will consider each organizations request and vote on each line item presented.
- Each organization presenter will be contacted by the Vice President of Finance or the Assistant to the Vice President of Finance.
- A mandatory meeting will be set up with the Assistant to the Vice President of Finance. No SAFA funds can be allocated before this meeting takes place.
- The meeting will include a hard copy of the organizations allocation and the process and forms to receive the SAFA funds.
- SAFA allocated funds are reimbursements for organization program expenses. However, in certain situations SAFA funds can be received in advanced.
It is suggested that each organization read ByLaw E of the SGA Constitution and ByLaws to get more detailed information regarding the SAFA process and procedures.
Q & A:
Who is eligible for SAFA funding:
Registered Student Organizations (RSO) and departments may apply for SAFA funding each semester.
What can be funded? What is not funded through SAFA?
- SAFA will not cover expenses for parties, gifts, awards, food, rentals, maintenance, or prizes.
- SAFA will not cover honoraria and/or performance fees for UCA faculty and staff.
- Travel expensed are not funded.
- SAFA will fund registration fees up to $1,000 per semester per organization.
IF our organization is allocated SGA funds?
The purpose of the Student Activity Fee Allocation (SAFA) process is to insure accountability of all student activity fee funding; to teach budget planning; to encourage organizations to plan ahead; to encourage organizations to justify their expenses; to encourage greater diversity of activities funded through the student activity fee; and to better organize the SGA to make available more time to deal with non monetary issues. The goals of the SAFA committee and the SGA Finance committee is to support activities and insure a balance of events that broaden the educational, social, cultural, and recreational opportunities for all University of Central Arkansas students.
If your organization is allocated SGA funds either by the SAFA or Emergency SAFA process a representative of your organizations must follow the prescribed procedure to RECEIVE those funds.
- Your organization is notified that SAFA funds have been allocated for your program(s).
- The SGA Assistant to the Vice President of Finance will contact a representative (the representative listed on the SAFA form) of your organization to schedule a mandatory meeting to discuss the procedure to receive SGA funds.
- That representative or an authorized substitute must meet with the SGA Assistant to the Vice President of Finance. If a representative from your organization does not meet with the SGA Assistant to the Vice President of Finance the SGA funds allocated to your organization will not be reimbursed to your organization for your programs.
- Schedule of meetings with the SGA Assistant to the Vice President of Finance. Meetings with the SGA Assistant to the Vice President of Finance will be scheduled for three weeks after SAFA deliberations. After those three weeks no meetings will be scheduled and organizations who miss their scheduled meetings will not receive SAFA reimbursements!
- The SGA Assistant to the Vice President of Finance will attempt to contact the organization representative listed on the SAFA forms by email and phone once the committees have deliberated and approved SAFA allocations. If for any reason your organization has not been contacted within one week after either meeting with the Finance Committee for Emergency SAFA or after final SAFA deliberations call the SGA office at 450-3195 or visit the SGA office #208 in the Student Center.
- Deadline to receive SAFA funds: Organizations funded for activities for fall must request SAFA funds prior to the end of the following spring semester. Organizations funded for activities for spring must request SAFA funds prior to the end of the following summer sessions.